Toastmasters International is a worldwide non-profit educational organization that empowers individuals to become more effective communicators and leaders. At the Annual Business Meeting in May 2022, District 82 of Toastmasters International announced leadership appointments for the 2022 – 2023 program year. Distinguished Toastmaster Nisal Weerakoon was been named District Director. Distinguished Toastmaster Mahinda Karunakara was appointed as the Program Quality Director and Distinguished Toastmaster Ganga Fernando was appointed as the Club Growth Director.
Nisal Weerakoon, DTM was the Charter President of Voice of Colombo Toastmasters Club. In 2020 – 2021, Nisal assisted District 82 in becoming ‘Smedley Distinguished’ as Club Growth Director, as well as receiving the ‘Excellence in Club Growth’ and the ‘Resilience Award’. Subsequently, as the Program Quality Director of District 82 from 2021 – 2022, he received the ‘Excellence in Program Quality’ Award. He completed his Bachelor’s Degree in Computing from Staffordshire University, United Kingdom, and a Master’s in Information Technology from the University of Colombo School of Computing.
Mahinda Karunakara, DTM from BCIS Toastmasters Club will oversee District 82’s educational and training initiatives, driving support for efforts to provide high-calibre club programming and promoting the Distinguished Club Program. He served as the District’s Club Growth Director for the 2021 – 2022 program year. Mahinda graduated from the University of Sri Jayewardenepura and holds an MBA from the Rajarata University of Sri Lanka in addition to a PhD in Business Management from the University of Swahili, Panama.
Ganga Fernando, DTM from Serendib Toastmasters Club will be in charge of all District marketing, club-building, and member and club retention efforts. Ganga was the Most Outstanding Area Director of the District in 2018 and the Most Outstanding Toastmaster of the District in 2017. She obtained her Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with first-class honours from the University of Colombo and an MBA in Finance from the same university.
“Mahinda and Ganga bring experience and passion for supporting the District mission and continuing the District 82 legacy. And 11 Division Directors and 44 Area Directors, along with the top 7 officers and extended team, are the enablers driving District 82 to the pinnacle through the challenging times while keeping the focus to double the value we give to our members”, said Nisal Weerakoon.
District 82 also announced the remaining Officer Positions completing the Top 7 positions and Division Directors hailing from a variety of Toastmasters Clubs.
- Administration Manager: Hashini Silva, DTM – Central Colombo Toastmasters Club
- Finance Manager: Jeewana Pradeep, DTM – AATSL Toastmasters Club
- Public Relations Manager: Asel Karunasingha – KDU Toastmasters Club
Srianthie Salgado, DTM, will serve ex officio as the Immediate Past District Director.
- Division A Director: Ruwani Wimalasena, DTM – Nations Toastmasters Club
- Division B Director: Shiham Ali – Wednesday 7 Toastmasters Club
- Division C Director: Imalee De Silva, DTM – Sampath Bank Toastmasters Club
- Division D Director: Dinuk Silva, DTM – Ralph Toastmasters Club
- Division E Director: Mario De Silva – Ragama Toastmasters Club
- Division F Director: Ruwan Jayasooriya, DTM – Siyane Toastmasters Club
- Division G Director: Mazin Hussain – Voice of Colombo Toastmasters Club
- Division G Director: Arshad Nizam, DTM – Innovative Minds Toastmasters Club
- Division I Director: Buddhima Subasinghe, DTM – NIBM Toastmasters Club
- Division J Director: Zamani Nazeem, DTM – Dialog Toastmasters Club
- Division K Director: Lakmali Ranatunga, DTM – Kandy Toastmasters Club